contact@stlukeirving.org 972-259-3222 202 S. MacArthur Blvd Irving, Texas 75060

However, the real beginnings go back
more than fifty years before this date.

arly day history of St. Luke Catholic Church began in 1860 with Mass being
held in private homes. The mission of St. Luke was established in 1902.

Fr. John Untereiner served as a pastor from 1949 to 1952 in the years following World War II when Irving experienced a huge population growth which was reflected in the number of families registered in the parish. Because of this growth, the church and rectory were sold. A site for a church, rectory, and school was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Schulze, Sr.

Construction on the third church and rectory was begun in August 1953. A contemporary design was constructed of buff-colored brick with cast-stone and redwood trim. It was dedicated on May 2, 1954.

Fr. John Untereiner served as a pastor from 1949 to 1952 in the years following World War II when Irving experienced a huge population growth which was reflected in the number of families registered in the parish. Because of this growth, the church and rectory were sold. A site for a church, rectory, and school was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Schulze, Sr.

Construction on the third church and rectory was begun in August 1953. A contemporary design was constructed of buff-colored brick with cast-stone and redwood trim. It was dedicated on May 2, 1954.

Families were now concerned with the religious education and training for their children. Irving’s first Catholic School for kindergarten through third grade was dedicated on October 23, 1955. The school was staffed by lay teachers of the parish. The following year, Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth staffed the school. A two-story convent was constructed to the east of the school to house the Sisters.

St. Luke’s membership grew tremendously to over 1,400 registered families. A proposal for the construction of a new church was made and recommended to the Bishop of Dallas. In 1985, the decision was made to construct a new church on South MacArthur Blvd. Pastored by Reverend Daniel J. Clayton, the church, designed by Robert S. Allan, featured a wood ceiling nave dominated by a red granite altar and 40-foot roof supported by concrete columns. Dedication was held on February 14, 1988. The historical role of St. Luke was recognized on April 10, 1988 by the dedication of a Historical Marker from the State of Texas.

Throughout the past one hundred and forty eight years, St. Luke Catholic Church has been a great institution, nurturing the people in the area spiritually and physically. With eight Masses celebrated each weekend in English, Portuguese and Spanish, we are a parish that continues to develop and grow. With God’s help we shall go on and on….